Contracting for Structural IPM Services--Tools and Resources
This web page provides guidance and resources for developing contracts and bid documents for structural pest management services that will help agencies meet their goals of reducing both pest complaints and pesticide use.
Hiring a Structural IPM Service Provider:
- To find EcoWise Certified service providers and practitioners, click here
- More information about EcoWise Certified
- Finding a Pest Control Company that Can Prevent Pest Problems (Our Water, Our World fact sheet)
EcoWise IPM Contracting Toolkit
EcoWise Certified's August 2008 IPM Contracting Toolkit will help you develop a successful structural IPM program and contract for structural IPM services. It covers elements to consider when developing an IPM policy, roles and responsibilities of the agency (or business) in an IPM program, and how to hire and work with an outside IPM service provider. The EcoWise IPM Process, helpful resources, and sample documents are included in the Tool Kit.
IPM Toolkit (County of Sacramento)
The County of Sacramento's IPM Toolkit will help public agency staff responsible for developing and/or implementing “in-house” IPM policies and procedures. It provides guidance on setting up IPM programs, sample bids and contracts, model ordinances and forms, pest management practice, and a list of IPM vendors and experts.
Document Library--Federal General Services Agencies
This federal document library contains guidance documents and business practices for integrated pest management, including Integrated Pest Management Program, Contract Guide Specification
Workshop materials: Wise Ways To Get the IPM Service You Want, November 6, 2007
- Integrated Pest Management: the Water Quality Perspective, Thomas Mumley, Assistant Executive Officer, San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board
- IPM in Public Buildings: the GSA Program, Al Greene, National IPM Coordinator, U.S. General Services Agency
- Contracting for Pest Management Services in Public Buildings, Al Greene, National IPM Coordinator, U.S. General Services Agency
- Evaluating Pest Management Programs in Public Buildings, Al Greene, National IPM Coordinator, U.S. General Services Agency
- EcoWise Certified: Recognition and Rewards for Professional IPM Practitioners, Ted Shapas, Program Manager, EcoWise Certified
- Key Points: Contracting for Structural IPM Services Note: This document refers to Part 1 of the EcoWise Certified standards. For a copy of the standards, click here.
- Partnering to Make IPM Work: Roles and Responsiblities of Customers and PCOs
- Options for Including EcoWise Certified in a Bid Process, Note: This document refers to Part 1 of the EcoWise Certified standards. For a copy of the standards, click here.
- EcoWise Overview
- Piloting Structural IPM at a Public Agency
Note: The UP3 Project recommends that an agency implement IPM for all its facilities at the same time in order to meet its IPM goals and have an efficient contracting process. If a pilot effort in one or two facilities is desired; however, this document (prepared by Bart Bradenburg of the Bio-Integral Resource Center) provides guidance.
Handouts from the U.S. General Services Administration:
- GSA Integrated Pest Management Technical Guide
- Integrated Pest Management Program Contract Guide Specification
- Measuring Integrated Pest Management Programs for Public Buildings
- Evaluating Your Buidling's Pest Control Program
- Pest Management Information Bulletin # 3: FRUIT FLIES and FUNGUS GNATS
- Pest Management Information Bulletin # 5: MICE
- Pest Management Information Bulletin # 8: PAPER MITES
Sample Bid Documents:
(for additional samples contact the UP3 Project Manager at UP3@waterboards.ca.gov )
- Scope of Work and Request for Qualifications for IPM Structural Pest Control Service, City of Palo Alto
- Combined RFP Score Sheet for IPM Contract (blank), City of Palo Alto
- Final IPM Contract Language, City of Palo Alto
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP 83518) Integrated Pest Management Service for City Owned Buildings and Properties, City and County of San Francisco
Workshop materials: Structural IPM Contracting training, May 23, 2007
- Presentations: Contracting for IPM Service, Tanya Drlik, BIRC, "Key Elements of a Structural IPM Bid/Contract," Laura Speare, UP3 Project, and Piloting Structural IPM Implementation," Bart Brandenburg, BIRC
Note: This web page and the documents posted on it are considered "living documents." The UP3 Project welcomes feedback; send feedback to the UP3 Project Manager at UP3@waterboards.ca.gov